say hello, wave goodbye

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Blue suede shoes

I'm from Memphis, home of the blues and birthplace of rock-n-roll. For those of you who don't know much about Memphis - it's rainy, humid, and has a feel of its own. I think if you can sum up Memphis in a song without words it would be Memphis Soul Stew (Solomon Burke) and Walking in Memphis does an adequate job of describing most of things about Memphis that make it my beloved home. We have great music (B.B. King, Isaac Hayes, and Three Six Mafia), good BBQ, and an accent all our own.
I don't know if it is the dreary weather, the stress of the semester, or a hiccup in a relationship, but I'm homesick. Not the "I want my mommy" kind of homesick, but the "I miss my town" kind of homesick. I'm in a blues kind of mood, I want to sit back and listen to B.B. wail away on Lucille. I even miss Elvis (whom I don't even like). I'm a peppy person, but today I'm mellow - I want to put on my blue suede shoes and board a plane. So I'm going to go listen to B.B., drink some coffee, and imagine Reverend Green, the Memphis skyline, and Ole Man River. Here's to hoping for sunshine, playing outside, and a cheerier me.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Good to see another fan of REAL BBQ....pulled pork sandwiches on a hubcap-sized bun dripping in sauce...not this chopped up beef crap that Texans seem to think God himself invented. Actually, I guess he did, but I'm pretty sure he'd take some Corky's or some Rendezvous over Betty Roses any day!

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger Jessica said…

    Greg - Betty Roses isn't BBQ. If it didn't say 'oink oink' before it became my lunch - it doesn't qualify! On another note - any predictions for the Vols in the future since we have the number one entering class this year? Perhaps we will cave under all the pressure or maybe, just maybe, i will get my new license plate before i'm outta here!!!!

     
  • At 11:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I predict the Vols winning the SEC handily. Auburn sent all of its weapons to the NFL, and Florida will take some time to be good under Urban Meyer. Maybe next year, but I think with Ainge as QB (they need to move Schaeffer to WR or something), Gerald Riggs, and those stud WR's, we'll be stout. Oh yeah, the #3 recruiting class in the nation doesn't hurt either. We need some good defense to win it all, so we'll see how that happens.

    I think UT will finish in the Top 10 nationally, maybe Top 5, if they win the SEC outright. They could conceviable vie for a National title is USC, Texas or OU slips up. I DON'T think USC will be as good this year, what with Norm Chow bolting for Nashville, and the Heisman curse hanging over Leinart. OU will return a pretty good team, and if Paul Thompson wins the QB job, look out...he's pretty, pretty good. Texas, which will lose to OU for the 6th time in a row, won't contend, because there will be at least two undefeated teams.

    Here endeth the predictions...and I reserve the right to change my mind!

     
  • At 10:40 PM, Blogger Katie said…

    Hey girl! I just found your blog, and I love it! I'm sorry for your town-sickness. When I lived in Nashville, my heart often longed for Texas. Some good Texas BBQ, wildflowers, sno-cones, amazing sunsets, authentic Mexican food... ok so I missed the food the most. But I'm grateful you are here and that we have become friends! :)

     
  • At 6:11 PM, Blogger Josh said…

    Holy guacamoli! How are you doing? I didn't know you were a blogger! How is everything going down that way? sorry you were feelin blue, hope you are smiley now!! I can't imagine you without a smile!
    Stay in touch..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home