say hello, wave goodbye

Monday, August 15, 2005

Back to life, back to reality

So, this is what the real world feels like. I’ve spent the past two decades in school (scary thought, eh) and now it has officially ended. Well, I guess it officially ended in May, but it didn’t feel real…until yesterday.

In the hotbed of diversity that is the FXCC office, I will soon be the youngest person by OVER a decade. When the other Jessica makes her way back to college in a week, I will be the lone twenty-something. Graham made like Michael and Bolton-ed (Okay, Graham if you are reading this – your phrase only works in the present tense “I’m making like Michael and Bolton”). And as of 5-ish EST, Adam had entered Texas and was 160-something miles from the Dallas area. Jen should be headed back to Abilene any day now, and C.Shock and Kat (yea, Metallics) have been in Abilene for most (if not all) of the summer. And as for me…well, I got up this morning, got dressed, looked for gray hairs, and went into the office in what has now become my new routine.

Sidenote that had potential to be it’s own blog post, but I’m too lazy: I found my first gray hair on Friday – talk about FREAKING OUT – I almost had a heart attack. I immediately plucked it, and here’s to hoping that is a melanin-absence anomaly of the follicle realm of Jessica’s head.

Continue original train of thought here: This is now my life, and I’m coming to grips with the fact that, at least for now, this is my home. This is the first time in twenty years that I haven’t bought school supplies (How I miss fun colored mechanical pencils, color-coded binders – okay, so I’m a tad-bit of a dork) and I think I’m okay with it. I haven’t left reality; I have entered a new reality. Yes, I’m sad that my friends are all going to be back in the same general geographical location, but I’ll be in A-town in about a month. However, all is not lost, I have discovered an amazing group of young professionals who are on fire for God. Maybe reality isn’t all that bad.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:42 PM, Blogger Hannah said…

    I'm glad you're staying! :)

    While phrases like "Take that and rewind it back!" haven't hit the mainstream up here, we do have our charms. A-town's loss is Fx's gain.

    And next time you freak out about a gray hair, just think of me and you'll feel better. I found my first gray hair at the ripe age of 13. Now the gray hair tally is higher than I can count, even with my shoes off!

     
  • At 11:31 PM, Blogger Ellyn said…

    Hey girly, highlights work great for covering the gray! I should know! I am almost at the dye the whole head stage and then highlight! I do thank God often for the genius who came up with dying hair and highlighting! Get that season 7 Friends haircut and think about the highlights for a later time.

    Thanks for the Starbucks run and the talk today! I am glad you are staying!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home