say hello, wave goodbye

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

God made dirt, and dirt don't hurt

Some of you are expecting me to comment on Wegman's and/or the new Batman movie, and I promise I will - just not today. I did promise to post the links to the two videos that we keep quoting all the time, so without further ado...End of the World (viewer discretion advised) and 'Amburgers and Wootbeer.

For real though, I would like to tell all my non-DC area friends about the wonders that are the Fourth of July on the Mall in Washington. We left Fairfax about 11:45 and arrived downtown a little before 2. We walked around for a while, we played in a fountain and then my feet got really dirty - as graham says, my feet were "oozing funk". We played frisbee and hit a couple of women who didn't speak english - that was really embarrasing. The Beach Boys and Gloria Estefan were playing on the capitol steps and there was a folk festival thing going on - it was super cool. We hung out in the shade for most of the day, but when it got dark we went out and sat on the mall right in front of the Washington Monument. When the fireworks went off the monument was in the foreground with the fireworks behind it - it was the coolest thing ever. Seriously, I'm not of the overly patriotic persuasion - I like politics, but not always america - but this was so cool. It made you feel like you should be singing "I'm proud to be an American" or something.

The highlight of the afternoon (besides all the cool patriotic stuff) was the cheesecake. A few hours into our hangout on the mall a couple of the girls decided that cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory sounded really good, so they got on the metro and went and picked up some cheesecake. We were sitting and the foot of the Washington Monument getting ready to take a bite of a creamy piece of strawberry cheesecake and my cheesecake fell off my fork onto the grass. I would like to say that it happened in slow-motion, but it didn't - between talking on the phone, talking to the people around me, watching the people play frisbee and trying to consume cheesecake - i probably wouldn't have even noticed at all except my for the fact that my fork was empty. Well, you can't leave a piece of cheesecake on the ground even if it is covered in grass. I proceeded to pick it up off the ground, pick the grass out of my $6 dollar piece of cheesecake, and eat it. Yes, I ate cheesecake off of the ground at the foot of the Washington Monument - i have no shame.

I now bid you a fond farewell - I must go practice my "ricky retardo" accent while playing frisbee with the jr high girls on our picnic.

Coming Attractions: Wegman's, Batman, Serengetti Eddy and the whole VBS drama thing, Bread & Chocolate....

3 Comments:

  • At 3:02 PM, Blogger Leann said…

    As anyone can tell you...Cheesecake Factory Cheesecake is worth every single second that it took to pull off those pieces of grass. Looking forward to the Batman andBread and Chocolate blogs. "Harassment, I say Harassment."

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Blogger Shayna Willis said…

    Jessica, I have a newfound respect for you. There should be no shame in eating cheesecake off the ground.

     
  • At 5:23 PM, Blogger Hannah said…

    All I can say is you made me proud when you ate that cheesecake. It's always nice to meet a fellow 'grubby' girl. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home