say hello, wave goodbye

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

we don't need no education

S-C-H-O-O-L. See, I know how to spell school, but apparently I didn’t on Sunday morning. I’ve been in the education system for two decades, and I have learned decidedly less than what one is supposed to. At least that is the story the teens will give you.

You see, this weekend we took a group of teens up to Graves Mountain Lodge this weekend for a retreat about leadership, finding, and following God’s will for both our lives and our ministry. It was a great retreat with some amazing young leaders. On Friday my vocabulary was on FIRE man, I had to check myself a couple of times for using words the teens didn’t know (transubstantiation being the highlight of the day). We returned to FXCC Sunday morning at about 9:15, and I was supposed to teach class at 10:30-ish. At this point I am so freakin’ tired I can barely stand up – I had worked till 12:45 Thursday night/Friday morning and was back at the church at 8 on Friday morning to leave for the retreat. So there I stand, imparting a wealth of knowledge to a classroom full of eager jr high and high school students. And I mention school (some of them started back yesterday, while most of them start back next week). I get the usual response of groaning paired with phrases of “why’d you have to mention that” or “we have another week, don’t remind us.” So I feel the need to get the class moving out of the “complain about school” mode – so I say, and this is a direct quote, “I’m sorry I mentioned that ugly word that starts with a ‘C’ and ends with a ‘chool’.” (In case you didn’t know ‘chool’ is pronounced just like ‘cool’, which is something I am not.) The kids immediately laugh, and say, “Jessica, it starts with a ‘S’ not a ‘C’.”

I have been to graduate school, and still can’t spell it. Contrary to popular belief, I am not a spelling bee champion. I’m sure I will be reminded of this stellar teaching performance daily for a while. (Thank you Chris) The reality of the situation is that I was just trying to show the teens that I too am flawed, because I don’t think that they see that side of me enough. Who am I kidding, I make a mockery of myself in front of them daily – and I get paid to do it. I have the chool-est job ever!!!!!!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home