say hello, wave goodbye

Friday, September 02, 2005

the good stuff

The Thursday before Labor Day is one of the greatest nights of the year. Your mind is currently racing in a desperate attempt to figure out how and why I would make such a blanket statement. Especially in light of the national tragedy going on in the Gulf Coast region right now. How could this Thursday be better than Christmas, or almost as great as the month of March? One word… FOOTBALL!

Tennessee won’t make its grand appearance on Rocky Top until Saturday (12:30 est on GamePlan or Jefferson Pilot if you live in the region), which means I must wait about a day before embracing that beautiful orange and white checkerboard and singing at the top of my lungs. Still, Thursday was a nice start to a promising football season. On this particular Thursday night, the weather is perfect – that warm-coolness that encourages open doors and windows. The sound of crickets and the roar from what I can only assume is a Jr. high football game drift inside. (Do they play this early up here? Perhaps it was a scrimmage or something, but I digress.)

I watch a man I loathe, gracefully doing what he does best. Steve Spurrier (best known for creating the Gator legacy circa 1990, and who recently did a short stint with the Redskins – the NFL isn’t his game) has, judging from their first game, succeeded in turning around another flailing SEC team. While UCF is not a real test for South Carolina (they have the longest loosing streak in the NCAA which extended to 12 after last night's game), they are performing better than I imagined. Two touchdowns in the first quarter, and by the start of the fourth it was 24 to 3. They finished strong with a score of 24-15, not a bad start for a new coach.

I am by NO MEANS a South Carolina fan, and the only nice thing I can say about Spurrier is admiring his ability to coach from a non-biased outlook (yea right, I can’t stand the guy – and it is totally based in the fact that my blood runs Orange.) Yet, I’m glad to see them improve like this. It makes the Vols schedule even scarier, but I love the competition in the SEC and if this makes that better – bring it.

This is why I love fall - good sports, great weather, and most importantly good sports. ROCKY TOP, YOU’LL ALWAYS BE HOME SWEET HOME TO ME!!!!

2 Comments:

  • At 12:13 PM, Blogger Pelagius said…

    My mama always told me that if you can't say something nice about someone, you shouldn't say anything at all.

    So, speaking of Steve "*&%#(@#$" Spurrier... I like the way he changed Carolina's uniforms back to the garnet jerseys and white helmets. That's all I have to say about him.

    Now about that game this Saturday. Some of us dyed-in-the-wool Tennessee fans don't have GamePlan and therefore have no venue at which to holler Rocky Top. I wonder if some local blogger might have a remedy for this situation... Hmmmm...

     
  • At 11:52 AM, Blogger Paige said…

    Jessica. I heart you and miss you bunches! I listened to the UT/AUB game on my way to Nashville yesterday. It made me happy, but my mood was crushed when MTSU almost got swallowed by Bama. Jerks. Have a great weekend!
    -Paige :O)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home