say hello, wave goodbye

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

hey you, get into my car

I’ve decide to become frugal. In honor of this decision, I’ve decided to cut back on my morning trips to Starbucks. My new office brews Starbucks coffee (although it isn’t really very good) and so, alas, I’m making my plethora of Starbucks gift cards last as long as physically possible. I do, however, have a Starbucks cup waiting in my car that I plan on blogging about. But you will all have to wait patiently for that day.

As part of my new found frugality, I have changed up my morning commute. My commute used to consist of driving to the Metro lot, parking my car (and paying and arm and leg for the privilege) and riding the orange line into work. This totaled about $11 a day in transportation costs (outrageous, right?)

Alas, there is a cheaper way to get to work. It is called slugging. Now I know that our parents told us to never get in a car with a stranger, but that is my new cheap way to get to work. I park my car at the park and ride (parking is free), I stand in line, and eventually get in the car with someone who needs an extra person or two to be able to take the HOV lanes to work. I’ve been going in to the Pentagon (which is weird in and of itself) and getting on the metro there. Between eliminating parking costs, and cutting down on the total cost of my metro ride – I’m saving about $5 a day!

So, here’s to frugality, slugging and, in a way, disobeying our parents!

1 Comments:

  • At 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    add a packet of hot cocoa to your morning coffe. Instant mocha capecino, mmmmm

     

Post a Comment

<< Home