say hello, wave goodbye

Thursday, October 13, 2005

trouble acting normal

While I was home last week, I watched House of D with Robin Williams. I don't know exactly how I feel about this movie, except that Robin Williams character used one of my new favorite lines.

Pappass, played by Robin Williams, is about 30 years old and mentally challenged. At one point in the movie he declares that he is no longer retarded, that he became mentally handicapped and then eventually progressed to being mentally challenged - in fact, there is probably more transition going on while he is speaking and he just doesn't know it.

The best quote from the movie comes in a scene where Pappass has just done something totally off the wall and slightly unnerving - he looks this guy in the eyes and says, "I was supposed to be normal, but I didn't get enough oxygen when I was born”.

Oh, how I wish that were an acceptable excuse for me. Every time I stuck my foot in my mouth (or showed by stunning knack for gracefulness) - I could just blame it on the lack of oxygen at birth.

So next time I can't spell school, just smile and nod while thinking to yourself, "she was supposed to be normal..."

2 Comments:

  • At 6:45 PM, Blogger Shayna Willis said…

    We wouldn't have you any other way . . . no really, we wouldn't, not a one of us is graceful or perfect either. :-)

     
  • At 8:44 AM, Blogger crazykarl7 said…

    I'm so using that the next time I say something dumb.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home