say hello, wave goodbye

Thursday, October 27, 2005

cheeseburger in paradise

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas…at least it is at Bath & Body Works. There are Christmas trees in the windows, fake snow is stuck to anything that might warrant a little bit of holiday spirit, and Carol of the Bells wafts through the air in an attempt to augment the already overdone and way too early sentiment of Christmas.

I am of the opinion that the Christmas season doesn’t start until Santa comes in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. Then, and only then, are you allowed to put up the tree and lights. Only after the fat-man in the red suit graces the streets of New York is it appropriate to blast Christmas music without ceasing. However, this freakishly early start to the holiday season does have its benefits.

One of which is the release of the Holiday scents. These scents don’t really vary from year to year. They always have the Cranberry scent, the apple scent, and the infamous Vanilla Bean Noel. The last of the three is the one that intrigues me the most. It doesn’t really smell like Vanilla Beans, as much as it smells like cake icing. Now don’t get me wrong, I like the smell of cake icing – in fact, I like the taste of cake icing. The problem for me is smelling like a processed food. Previously, I would have said that I just didn’t like smelling like food, but it has been pointed out to me that most girls’ scents smell of fruits, which, contrary to popular belief, are indeed foods. But smelling of cake icing is like smelling like apple pie or peanut butter or something. It may be sweet and you may like the smell, but does that really make it okay to smell like your daily moisturizing routine consists of smearing a Betty Crocker concoction on your skin.

Another problem I have with this whole smell like food thing is the cravings that are induced by the scents. For instance, you light a candle that smells like food – and you will, at some point, crave said food. Now imagine smelling like cake icing all day. That can’t be good for your diet, your insulin levels, or your arteries, because you will eventually give into the temptation to eat cake icing.

I know I’m not the only one who thinks that smelling like cake icing is a bit weird. However, I am very aware of a differing opinion held by some. So my question to you is this: Is it okay/normal/appealing to smell like a processed food like cake icing? If you are female, would you wear such a scent? If you are male, would you be attracted to such a scent?

1 Comments:

  • At 9:36 AM, Blogger Sign2Jill said…

    Well, they do say that "the way to a man's heart is through his stomach".....maybe the food-smelling perfume would also do the trick?

    (Hehehe...I'm just playing with you, Jessica!)

    I love the smell of French vanilla! But the thought of spraying French vanilla all over myself is disgusting. I prefer to stick with perfume that has a barely noticable and soft smell.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home