say hello, wave goodbye

Monday, October 31, 2005

it's a beautiful day

1) Randy Sanders will resign as the Offensive Coordinator for the University of Tennessee Volunteers. Yep, you read that right…he is quitting. It is about time, too. You do not win football games when you play it safe. In football, as in life, you have to take risks to win. I honestly hope that Sanders’ personal life is not the risk-less debacle that his football career has been up to this point.

There seems to be this contingency of fans who, in an effort to ease their pain caused by an allegiance to a sporting team who, by definition sucks, blames all losses and on field errors on a particular coach, coaching decision, or just the entire coaching staff. Personally, I am above this childish and petty blame game that occurs in the sporting world, but must concede that sometimes a coaching change is the proper medicinal solution to on-field problems. For example, Hubie Brown was a miracle worker for the Memphis Grizzlies. They were a team who had the talent, but due to poor coaching and managing decisions were in a state of…how can I say this nicely…perpetual sucking. Hubie Brown was the spoonful of sugar and the medicine. Here was a man who through sheer talent in the coaching realm was able to boost team performance and with a very (un)fortunate turn of events had a name that boosted team and fan morale. For anyone who is a skeptic, say the name Hubie aloud. Need I say more?

2) I have found the holy grail of Northern Virginia.

I’m sure that there are more than a few of you out there who know that this sentence is about you are secretly applauding yourselves for getting an anonymous shout-out on my blog. It is true that I love you every one of you, and that is why I want you to take some time right now to think about how awesome you are. Make a mental list of all the things that make you fabulous and would make you the subject of this post. Then, I want you to slap yourself. You guys are great, but do you seriously think that any of you are holy grail material? There might be one or two who have on occasion provided excellent fodder for mocking. (i.e. “I’m not gay, but I would sleep with Brad Pitt.”) However, you can rest assured that such fodder does not give you such status as to be called the “holy grail”.

In all actuality, the holy grail of NoVa is a record store. I know it is probably pathetic, but I have been looking for a good record store since I moved here. Even though the verdict is still out on the quality of said record store, it as a record store none-the-less. I officially have my first item on my post-PowerHouse to-do list: Go to record store and look for Miles Davis, John Coltrane, and Cal Tjader.


On that note, I am off to “spread the Jesus love”.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:16 AM, Blogger crazykarl7 said…

    is the record store amazon.com?

     
  • At 10:27 AM, Blogger Jessica said…

    no, carl...i'm talking an actual used record store where i can go and flip through old albums. It's over by where our small group meets. Can you buy vinyl on amazon? I know you can on ebay, but it's risky with the vintage stuff because sometimes its warped.

    Vinyl rocks my face off.

     
  • At 1:25 PM, Blogger Pelagius said…

    Hooray for Randy Sanders' resignation!! We've been calling this one for years. Let's hope that we get somebody with cojones up there, who'll open up that offense.

    Oh, for clarification's sake, I only said that I'd probably sleep with Brad Pitt...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home